I had never made cabbage rolls, as an adventurous cook as I am. My mom makes delicious cabbage rolls but I’m never really sure how anyone finds the time to make them? Maybe setting aside an entire day. Anyways, the prep for this recipe can be made done in less than an hour. This meal is hearty and filling and great for cool winter nights. This is my take on the classic cabbage roll.
Serving Size: 6-8
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 2 cups of cooked lentils (canned or make your own)
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large parsnip shredded
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp of Montreal steak spice
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 8 cups of chopped cabbage
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp of Dill (dried or fresh)
- 3 tbsp of parsley (dried or fresh)
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, add onions (cook for 5 minutes) until translucent, add garlic, carrots, and parsnip (cook for about 5 minutes) until garlic is fragrant, finally add the lentils and steak spice, cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently so things do not burn to the bottom.
- Once the meat mixture is cooked, allow half to cool slightly- 10 minutes, mix in 1/2 cup of ice water, add to blender, blend until smooth, re-add to the lentil pan, simmer for 5 minutes.
- To the lentils add the tomato soup, 1 cup of tomato sauce, can of tomatoes and spices, stir until combined and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the lentils are simmering, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and cabbage, cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix the rice in with the lentil mixture.
- Grab a large casserole dish and layer the casserole like so, 1/2 the cabbage mixture, 1/2 meat mixture, rest of the cabbage and top with the rest of the meat. Stir until all combined nicely, flatten the top and add 1 cup of tomato sauce.
- Either place in the fridge until dinner time (if so cook at 350 F for 45 minutes uncovered) or cook at 350 F for 30 minutes until bubbly!
Note: If not vegan add parmesan