My eyes have been opened to the world of hurt the dairy industry actually is. I was always turning a blind eye to the torture female dairy cows go through. Yesterday I listened to motivational speaker James Asprey, my eyes have been opened. I have watched so many documentaries but never wanted to believe that eating dairy and eggs were really that bad. I am horrified by the practices that take place in the dairy/egg industry and have decided to commit to 30 days of being vegan. I will try to post what I eat every day (with recipes!) and decide if this is the lifestyle for me. I have always hoped to say that I am 100% plant-based, and now is the time to try it out. Stay tuned folks!
Good evening everyone!
The thunderstorms on my end of town have been crazy, the weather has been up and down. Hot in the morning, the storm rolls in and the temperature drops 10 degrees. My family scored a huge bunch of fresh chives from the farmers market this week and it inspired me to make these twice baked potatoes.
Ingredients (serves five)
- 1/2 cup of chives
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp of sour cream
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- five large sized potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, pierce the potatoes with a fork and rub the potatoes with oil, bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, cut a slit through the center of the potatoes, scoop out the flesh of the potatoes and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix the potato mixture and add bake into the flesh back into the shells.
- Bake the potatoes for 15 more minutes and enjoy!
The sun is finally shining and I am trapped inside at work…go figure! Yesterday I tried a DIY baking soda shampoo and I was very impressed! I have used lots of “no poo” shampoos before and have always enjoyed the soft sensation they leave on my hair. The baking soda shampoo left my scalp slightly drier than I wished but I just compensated with a touch of coconut oil!
1. Mix 3 tbsp of baking soda with 1 tsp of water, the consistency must be a paste, add more water if needed
2. Fully wet hair and apply baking soda paste as if you were washing your hair, remember, there will be no bubbles!
3. Let baking soda paste sit in your hair for 5 minutes
4. Rinse baking soda out with water, then rise with diluted apple cider vinegar (1 cup of water, 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar)
5. Once finished in the shower apply 1/2 tsp of coconut oil to ends and work your way up to your scalp
I enjoy spending my time in the outdoors, I find it calming and satisfying to see the beautiful things the Earth creates. There are many different scientific studies that have been done correlating with increased memory, mood and decreased stress.
Five reasons why I hike:
- Improved short-term memory
- Restored mental energy
- Stress relief
- Reduced inflammation
- Improved Concentration
Spending time outdoors is especially important to me while I am practicing my studies. I often take study breaks by going for a short walk outside, 5-10 minutes around the block.
Finally, the earth is a temple, my studies include learning about the effects of humans on the earth. My goal is to protect the earth while learning about its beauty on foot in the natural environment
How you can enjoy the Earth’s beauty to:
- Go for walks, take time to admire the small things, the dandelions in the grass, the leaves on the trees and the clouds in the sky
- Admire the Earths creations, see yourself as equal, not only to all humans but to all walks of life; to the bees, the ants on the ground and the birds in the sky
- Reduce your intake of animal products, one vegetarian meal a week, or one meat meal a week.
- Reduce your intake of dairy products and eggs, switch to nut milks, use vegan substitutes for eggs such as tofu or ground flax seed.
Admire the Earths beauty in your own ways, but whatever you do ensure you take time each day to observe its beauty, because it may not be here forever.