Good evening everyone!
The thunderstorms on my end of town have been crazy, the weather has been up and down. Hot in the morning, the storm rolls in and the temperature drops 10 degrees. My family scored a huge bunch of fresh chives from the farmers market this week and it inspired me to make these twice baked potatoes.
Ingredients (serves five)
- 1/2 cup of chives
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp of sour cream
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- five large sized potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, pierce the potatoes with a fork and rub the potatoes with oil, bake for 45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, cut a slit through the center of the potatoes, scoop out the flesh of the potatoes and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix the potato mixture and add bake into the flesh back into the shells.
- Bake the potatoes for 15 more minutes and enjoy!
Sorry I have been MIA! I am starting a new job next week and I am been scrambling to prepare for it! Anyways, this recipe is a delicious Middle Eastern dish. It is surprisingly easy and has such a wonderful flavor. This recipe is great if you want to impress your guests with a “fancy” dish at a low cost with little cooking knowledge! The best part about this dish is that it can be served at brunch or at dinner!!
Ingredients (serves four)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tsp of chili powder
- ½ cup of veggie broth
- 1 28 ounces can of tomatoes
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups of kale or spinach, finely chopped
- ½ cup of feta
Note: The number of eggs can be adjusted depending on your crowd, I normally do 4 but you can fit up to 6 eggs with this recipe!
- SAUCE: Saute onions until translucent, add garlic until fragrant, 2 tsp of chili powder, veggie broth, and tomatoes, simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, blend until smooth in a blender.
- POTATOES: Saute the potatoes in the same pan the sauce was in with 1 tsp of chili powder, until brown on the outside. Add the sauce to the pan (be careful of splatters) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- EGG/SPINACH: Stir in the greens, use a spoon to make little holes for the eggs on top of the sauce. Crack the eggs directly into the warm sauce and cover. With the heat on low (sauce barely bubbling) and the cover on, cook the eggs for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep the cover on for another 5 minutes. This should give you medium-soft yolks. Top with goat cheese and serve with crusty bread for sopping up that sauce.
Hello, folks! Happy long weekend to all of those celebrating, for the long weekend a family gets together with a delicious dinner is always on schedule, and for this dinner, an abundance of meatball subs and vegan peanut butter pie was enjoyed!
This recipe is super easy and can be doubled which will allow you to freeze the meatballs for later to have with pasta! Vegetarian meatballs can get expensive so making your own is a great way to save money and to be honest, these are better than any store bought vegetarian meatball!
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
2 lbs of vegetarian ground beef substitute (I use Yves original ground round), 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of Italian breadcrumbs (I use panko breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning), 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup of fresh minced parsley, 1/3 of cooked chopped spinach, 1/3 cup of minced onions, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp of pepper, 1/2 tsp of salt
Note: You need just enough milk to moisten the breadcrumbs, moistening the bread crumbs with milk allows the meatballs to stay moist
- Moisten the breadcrumbs with the milk
- Whisk the eggs and mix with the ground round, add all the other ingredients, I noticed that the recipe was quite salty if you are sensitive to salt like me, omit the tsp of salt, mix well so all of the ingredients are well incorporated
- Shape all of the meat balls into the size of your choice, for pasta, larger meatballs are better, for subs smaller meatballs are preferred
- Bake the meatballs on a cookie sheet at 350 for 25 minutes
- While the meatballs are cooking prepare a large baking pan 9×13 with sauce at the bottom, once the meatballs are done cooking, place in the sauced pan, add a very small amount of sauce on top of each meatball
- Baked covered for 20 minutes, bake uncovered for 10 minutes, and enjoy
Note: If you plan on freezing the meatballs omit steps 5 and 6, this leaves the meatballs par-baked, bake for another 30 minutes at 350 from frozen
I have just recently explored the world of Lasagna roll-ups and I was very impressed! They are a great substitute for lasagna on busy nights because they are fast to prepare and only take 30 minutes to bake! They were a hit at our dinner table so hopefully, they will be at yours too!
Ingredients (serving size: 5, 1 lasagna roll-up per person, if hungry, two lasagna rolls per person and double cheese mixture)
1 package of lasagna noodles, 2 cups of ricotta, 1 tsp of lemon zest, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, 2 cloves of garlic (minced), 1 tbsp of oregano, 1 tbsp of rosemary, 1 tbsp of basil, 1 tbsp of thyme, 1/2 cup of parmesean, 1 cup of cooked spinach, 1 cup of mozzarella, 4 cups of tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celcius
- Cook lasagna noodles according to directions, some require to be boiled, some required to be soaked
- While lasagna noodles are cooking mix together ricotta, lemo zest, nutmeg, garlic spices, spinach and parmesean cheese
- Once noodles are cooked lay them out flat and add 2 tbsp of the cheese mixture, spread evenly across the noodle and roll
- In a baking dish, spread 1 cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of the pan, put the rolls into the dish, top with the rest of the sauce and mozzarella
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, bake uncovered for 15 minutes
Mac and cheese is one of my favourite recipes to take camping, cooking the mac and cheese over the fire infuses it with a nice smokey taste. The taste of campfire in the mac and cheese is just too good to resist. The taste can be replicated over the BBQ but sometimes mac and cheese baked in the oven is just as good.
This recipe can be a bit overwhelming because it has a homemade cheese sauce, but it is very easy once you get started, and it tastes so good.
Ingredients (serving size: 4)
Cheese Sauce: 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of pepper, 1 tbsp of rosemary, 1 tsp of thyme, 1/2 tsp of chili flakes, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, 1 cup of milk
2-3 cups of pasta of your choice (I like to use mini shells), 1/2 Spanish onion diced, 1 clove of garlic minced
Topping: 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs (Italian spiced)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees celsius
- Cook the pasta of your choice according to the directions, ensure the pasta is cooked al dente because the pasta will be baked in the oven
- In a large saucepan melt butter, add all the spices, wait until the butter is boiling slightly (do not let it smoke), turn the heat down to low, while mixing slowly add the flour 1 tbsp at a time, the mixture will become very thick and hard to mix, once the flour is added the mixture it should resemble a crumbly playdough
- While the heat is still on low, slowly add the milk 1/4 of a cup at a time whisking vigorously, about 1 cup of milk should make the mixture the perfect consistency (slightly thinner than pudding), you can make your sauce thinner by adding more milk *the mixture will thicken once the cheese is added
- Once you have reached the desired consistency of your sauce turn the heat off and stir in the cheeses one of a time
- Add the cooked the pasta into a large bowl with a small amount of butter, mix around so the pasta does not stick together, add the diced onion and the minced garlic
- Add the cheese sauce to the pasta mixture, mix well
- Add the pasta mixture into a glass tray (9 x 13), top with the cheeses and the bread crumbs, I like to mix it up, half cheese, half bread crumbs, half cheese, half bread crumbs
- Bake covered with tin foil for 30 minutes and bake uncovered for 15 minutes
- Once finished baking let sit for 10 minutes before enjoying