Today I decided to bake this carrot cake for fathers day, my first time baking a carrot cake and I was so nervous! This cake turned out so good my grandma even asked for the recipe! Follow the recipe as you wish, you could reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup but its your call!
- 1 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of ground flax seed or ground chia seed, or a mix
- 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg and ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (I used avocado)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of your choice of raisins, walnuts, sunflower seeds, or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease the pan of your choice, two 9′ rounds or 1 large sheet pan.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, ground flax seed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and ginger, and salt.
- Beat together pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, oil, and eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold the carrots, coconut and other ingredients of your choice.
- Pour the batter into the pan of your choice and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once a toothpick comes out clean, allow the cake to sit in the pan for 10 minutes to cool, once the 10 minutes is cool, transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before icing.