Hello all, I tried this recipe yesterday on my family and it was such a hit I had to share it with all of you! Great for a BBQ as a side or a lunch for work. The tofu can be substituted for shrimp or chicken.
Millet salad with chili lime tofu (serves four)
- ½ tsp of dried chile flakes
- 2 tsp of grated lime zest
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 cup of hulled millet
- 20 slices of tofu
- 2 large ears of sweet corn
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 firm ripe avocado, peeled pit removed and diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Chile flakes
- ½ tsp of sugar
- Add the chile flakes, lime zest and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a shallow glass or ceramic bowl, add the tofu and stir to coat then cover and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the millet and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until fragrant
- Add 2 cups of water to the millet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Removed from the heat and set aside, covered, to steam for 10 minutes. Fluff the grains with a fork and transfer to a large bowl to cool completely.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat, drizzle the corn and asparagus with the remaining oil, cook the corn, turning 6-8 minutes, or until lightly charred and tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly, then cut the kernels from the ears. Cook the asparagus and tofu for 2 minutes each side until tender crisp and to tofu is crisp. Add all but the tofu to the millet.
- Make the dressing, add to the salad and top with the tofu.