Good evening everyone,
For my first recipe, I have decided to post one of my favourites! This recipe is so easy and such a delicious alternative to canned fish. The filling goes great on sandwiches, wraps, crackers, salads, or even alone!
Ingredients (serving size: 2 people)
1/2 cup of chickpeas, 1 tsp of lemon, 1 tsp of fresh dill (dry can be substituted), 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1/2 tsp of steak spice and 1 tbsp of mayonnaise (can easily be substituted with veganaise)
I also like to add
- 1 stock of celery, chopped to preferred size, I normally do slightly larger than minced
- some green onions if I have them (any onions works really)
- a pickle or two minced
- cucumbers either diced in or severed on the sandwich/wrap/cracker
- Prepare chickpeas as needed, I often like to rehydrate my own, but I have used canned chickpeas many times. Place chickpeas in a large bowl, add lemon juice and spices
- Mash chickpeas with a potato masher (or fork) until desired texture is achieved, I often mash them until they are no bigger than 1/4 of a chickpea. Ensure to take breaks in between mashing to stir the mixture.
- Once desired texture is achieved add mayo and veggies of your choice
- Serve on a sandwich/wrap/cracker with spinach and cucumbers and enjoy
Note: This recipe tastes best once it has had time to sit in the fridge and let the flavors blend, it is recommended you make the chickpea filling an hour before consumption. Leave in the fridge for up to 3 days.